VIRTUS - Valor, Excellence, Courage, Character, and Worth
VIRTUS training is required across the Diocese of Covington for all volunteers in any capacity in our schools and churches.
This includes but not limited to volunteering at school on field trips, attending school parties, working a parent-child event, coaching, working a Diocese Fish Fry and so much more. In a church setting, it includes being a Eucharistic Minister, lector, volunteer etc.
Click here to go to the website: https://www.virtusonline.org/virtus/
The process has four steps that you must complete:
- Visit the website of VIRTUS. Select Covington, KY (Diocese) in the dropdown box. Begin the registration process.
- Set up your profile with a log in and password. This is important because you may visit this website often for questions etc. Avoid using your email for your user ID. *Always use your legal name. It will ask you if you use a nickname. Select the Primary location that you want to handle your paperwork. For example, you may choose POP as your primary and Mother of God (parish) for your secondary. Select your role in the Diocese and for most of you that will be volunteer.
- All volunteers must attend a class entitled “Protecting God’s Children for Adults. This class is offered locally and all classes are always listed on the VIRTUS website. The two upcoming classes will be offered on the following date:
*9/28/22 St. Henry /Elsmere, KY. 6:30 p.m
*10/13/22 Thomas More University/Crestview Hills, KY 6:30 p.m.
Classes are added frequently, always check the website.
- After you see, “Thank you for registering with VIRTUS Online”, click on “Begin Background Check” and follow the prompts. Yes, everyone including staff, volunteers etc. must have a background check. For security reasons, you cannot use a cellphone, landline phone, kindle or tablet to enter a background check. The cost of the background check is $50.00 and it is very comprehensive. The process time is usually 2-3 days. Once complete, the primary location will receive a copy of the report. **Make sure all your information is correct before hitting SUBMIT. Mistakes cannot be fixed once you submit. Please avoid paying the fee twice.
- Once, these steps are complete your Coordinator from your Primary location will give you two pieces of paper that must be filled out and returned. The name of these forms is “Acceptance Form” and Volunteer Employee Application” form. *Make sure to sign both or they are not valid.
- Once, you have completed these four steps your monthly bulletins will begin. The bulletins arrive by the 3rd day of each month and you have 30 days to complete them. Once again, avoid doing these on a cell phone, answers do not transmit and send correctly most of the time. If you miss bulletins, you will be suspended and your coordinator is the only one who can correct that. If you become more than 12 behind, you will need to complete this entire process over including the background check.
We cannot impress on you enough, that we want you involved in our school and your church parish if you so choose. Once you have completed this process, you are good to go for a very long time. This is a very important way of keeping our children safe and secure in our presence at all times.
If you have any questions, please contact Karen Middendorf @ email@example.com or call the school office @ 859-431-5153 Extension #751.
Thank you for your attention and our hope is that many of you will invest your time in completing this process in order to be more involved in school and your child’s education.